We thought yesterday was going to be the nicest day of the weekend and went for a little walk to the park to throw the frisbee around. However I woke up this morning and the sun is shinning beautifully. We may need another excuse to spend time outside again today. It was also a great day for taking pictures of knitting in progress.
One of Dad’s Christmas socks is complete (well the knitting part anyway). If there is enough time after I finish the second one I may use duplicate stitch to put Space Invader motifs on the socks. The black yarn is Regia, a work-horse yarn with nylon added in. It’s not super soft but it is also not scratchy and should take a lot of wear my Dad will dish out while he’s puttering around the farm. The toes are Paton’s Kroy Socks. These are like all the socks I have made him in the past, machine-washable. However we don’t tell him they are machine-washable. He has to put them in the special laundry pile for hand-washing only (they will last longer that way too) or he runs the risk of never getting another pair of handmade socks. This is just in-case either I or Nanny make him a pair of socks that are not machine-washable. So far there have been no reports of mishaps from my mother so I think he takes the possibility of being cut-off from handmade socks very seriously. I think it is very endearing that he makes that extra effort to take care of his handmade socks and is part of the reason he gets a new pair every year. Last year he gave me the highest sock compliment that I think can come from him – “This socks are the best socks yet; they stay up and fit nice.” I guess it’s custom socks from now on.
I have finally taken the leap and cast-on and started knitting the sleeve for Sean’s Aran sweater (after charting out the increases for the cable using Knit Visualizer. So far it is turning out very well.
I started reclaiming the yarn from a disaster project from a few years ago called the Kimono Shrug. I had finished all the knitting but when I started seaming it together it definitely did not work. Since it involved 6 skeins of Malabrigo it is definitely worth reclaiming the yarn. Well I finally got around to it and unseamed and then unravelled the pieces back into skeins. I dampened them to help relax before winding them back into balls.With the one skein that was not knit up into the disaster project I started work on a couch blanket by Ysolda, very simply called the Hap Blanket. The centre is garter stitch and then you pick up along the edges and work in a feather and fan pattern. As you can tell I am currently on the garter stitch pattern. I am making it slightly bigger than the pattern calls for since I have the yarn and I would like it bigger than 40″. It is my nice mindless project at the moment to take breaks from all the Christmas and secret knitting.